September 30, 2019

Manuel finds a home

Sao Paulo has a lot of homeless people, especially downtown. Until 2012, all of the homeless were brazilians, and this scenario started changing when the civil war in Bolivia started.
The brazilian government estimates that around 500.000 bolivians came to Brazil as civil war refugees, and a big slice of these people decided to come to Sao Paulo, illuded by the city's figure, very similar to what happened to brazilian northeasterners, who also came to Sao Paulo looking for better oportunities, during the 1960's.


The next day i went to the office thinking about Manuel. In a matter of fact, i couldn't stop thinking about him since we met, and i didn't even know why.
I already had plans for him. I felt like i had to help that man in any possible way. I put myself in his position: what if my family suddenly didn't exist anymore? What if my hometown suddenly became a hostile place? What if i find myself in a strange place, hopeless, helpless and jobless? I would expect an angel to save me, nothing else. I would've spent days and days and days crying, blaming fate.

I jumped outta the bus as usual, walked a few blocks and i saw Manuel standing in the same spot as he was standing the day before. I walked towards him.
- Good morning fella.
- Good morning, how are you doing Jorge?
- I'm fine, very fine. How about ya?
- Good too. Didn't sleep too well today, it was too hot. I sweated all night long. And some bolivian kids shouted until 3AM. Hell, true hell.
- Haha. Manuel, i need to tell you something. I was gonna bring you some clothes today, in a nice bag, but i haven't brought it, sorry.
- Oh, okay. No problems.
- Know why?
- Because you forgot?
- No, i didn't. I deliberately decided not to bring the clothes. I want to invite you to stay in my house for some time.
- Woot!?
- You heard. I'm inviting you to go to my house, settle down yourself there for some time, until we find you a job and a place of your own. What do you say?
- I don't say anything man. I can't accept it.
- C'mon Manuel, don't be so stubborn. Can you swallow your pride only today? I really wanna help you. I don't know, i just feel like i need to do it, plus, i wanna do it.
- Don't you have a wife, kids, dog, cat, whatever?
- I do, and i already told my wife i was bringing a permanent guest.
I lied. I didn't tell her.
- What did she say?
- She said you're very welcome, and i asked her to make a special dinner for us tonight.
She would probably order it.
- I'm not gonna say no. Your kids yell at night? Do you have kids, by the way?
- I do, two kids. A boy and a girl. Well, sometimes they cry through the whole night, but i think you know howto deal with that, since you were a father too, right?
At this moment a tear started running through his face, and i realized i shouldn't have said that.
- Oh, sorry Manuel, sorry. I didn't meant.
- It's okay. So, when do we go? I really could do with a shower.
- Wanna go now? I can call the day off, i think my boss won't mind.
- Really?
His eyes sparkled.
- Yes, sure. I mean...i hope so. Hang on, imma call the office.
I called to my boss and told him what the situation was. The tone of his voice wasn't too friendly, but he agreed on giving me a day off.
- We're cool Manuel. Shall we go?

We faced 3 hours stuck in the traffic, but we finally got home. The apartment was empty; my wife was at work, and my kids were in the daycare.

- Welcome home Manuel. This is your new home. Don't feel threatened, embarassed, or whatever. Come're, imma show you your room.
The apartment had a spare room, planned to be a maid's room. Since we didn't have a maid, the room was available. It wasn't empty though...it was full of useless old stuff which should have been thrown away a long ago, but we were always too lazy to do that.
After 2 hours cleaning up the room, Manuel had a new bedroom. And he could finally clean himself.
- Jorge, can i take a shower? I feel dusty, sticky...
- Of course you can. Let me get you a towel.
I went to the drawer and grabbed him a fluffy towel.
- Here's your towel Manuel. Today i'll let you have a long bath, but don't get used to it. We have a policy here stating that all our bathes takes no longer than 5 minutes.
- Sure thing.

No comments: