October 03, 2019

Manuel gets a job

After a few days, Manuel found himself at home. The kids and the dog loved him, but my wife didn't. Actually, she got pretty uncomfortable having a total stranger suddenly living under the same roof as her, in her house, in her home, among her family. She told me Manuel had to leave, or she would, and she would take the kids with her.
I sat down and started wondering how the hell i was going to find Manuel a new home. He couldn't go back to the streets, that wasn't a fair option, right? So, i decided to have a little talk with Manuel.
He was in the living room, laid back on the couch, watching a movie and eating peanuts.

- Sorry Manuel, can i interrupt you for a few minutes?
- Yeah, sure.
- Great...Manuel, what's your profession?
- Oh, it's a bit complicated, my friend. In my hometown i used to teach kids. I did that for free, because i believe we should help our community in any possible way. But that's not my real profession. I don't have a specific profession, actually...i run some errands; i fix roofs, i paint houses, i can be a plumber -- a good plumber, if i might say so.
- Would you like to work for us at the office?
- Of course i would! When should i start?

We weren't in need of someone at the staff, but this was the only way i could get Manuel a new home, a job, and keep my wife. What was i supposed to do? I wasn't kicking him out, not a chance. Since i had some "decision power" at the office, i could convince the boss to accept Manuel as a new staff member. I really didn't know what he would be useful for, but i decided to give him a chance.

- Tomorrow sounds good?
- Sounds excellent. What will i do?
- Ehm... you're gonna work for us as a General Assistant.
- Great!
- So, wanna talk about your salary?
- No, no...you pay me what you think is fair, i don't care. Plus, i think i owe you for feeding and sheltering me.
- Oh, don't mention it. Okay, that's that. We're done. -- i smiled at him.

I went to my bedroom wondering why the heck i was doing all that for a total stranger. But he wasn't a total stranger anymore, he was a friend already.

1 comment:

megiddo Tel said...

What a delightful story that you tell!

I come to you tonight with a small request. My small band of refugees, located in Southeast Michigan are trying to set up a way of communicating with others like you on what is left of the internet. We have all encountered a small glitch. Whenever we try to post a comment, Blogger, (the service we are trying to use) keeps trying to default to a date set in 2008. Could you possibly help us get to the proper date of 2019?

I would be most appreciative.

Regards

Megiddo Tel

megiddo@prodigy.net